TRANS/BORDER Art Exhibition at “Racialization, Neoliberalism And Queering Public Spheres” Symposium
Posted on April 21, 2011 by michamaya
Symposium at UCSD organized by the Transnational Queer and Transgender Studies Working Group
Symposium: Friday April 22 1-6 p.m. &Saturday April 23 9:30-5 p.m.
UCSD, Dolores Huerta Room, Student Center Expansion
TRANS/BORDER: Opening Friday, 5:45pm, Open during symposium Saturday, in the Visual Arts Facility Performance Space and the Pendergrast Gallery.
This symposium will include the art show TRANS/BORDER curated by Micha Cárdenas, in the Visual Arts Facility Performance Space and the Pendergrast Gallery. Featuring artwork by Tara Mateik, Elle Mehrmand, Aaron Guerrero, Angelica Aguilar, Eleanor Featherby, Chris Gauthier, David Kim, Gerald Manoos, Uyen Pham, Mina Rahnema, and Electronic Disturbance Theater 2.0. The exhibition is supported by the UCSD Visual Arts Department, Sixth College, CRCA and the Transnational Queer and Transgender Studies Working Group.
1) Racialization/Nationalisms and Queer and Trans Studies
2) Queer Publics/Queer Privates and the challenges of neoliberalism/privatization of the commons
2) Sustainability and Defiance in Queer and Trans Politics and Culture
4) Securitization, militarization and queer interventions
5) Queer of Color Critique and Action and the Revolutions in North Africa
Invited speakers include Jasbir Puar (Rutgers), Paul Amar (UCSB) Chandan Reddy (UW-Seattle), Paola Bacchetta (UCB),Jin Haritaworn,(SOAS/LSE), Eng-beng Lim (Brown)
UCSD participants include Patrick Anderson, Toby Beauchamp, Micha Cárdenas Fatima El-Tayeb, Todd Henry, Roshanak Khesti, Meg Wesling, Nayan Shah,